Practising the Piano eBooks Series
Have you ever sat at the piano wondering how to practice?
Practising the Piano is an interactive, multimedia eBook series which shows you exactly what you need to do to get the most out of your practice time. The series is the culmination of years of experience by Graham Fitch, one of the UK's leading independent piano teachers.
There are surprisingly few books that deal with the art of practising. Given the amount of time an aspiring pianist needs to spend practising, it is very important to know exactly what to do in order to make the best use of this time. Practising the Piano will equip you with specific tools to help you every step of the way and will give you concrete skills to learn pieces, solve problems, memorise, and much more.
You'll notice real results in your playing – guaranteed!
In addition to being an indispensable guide to playing the piano, the eBook series goes beyond the capabilities of a print publication with the following features:
Video and audio
Hundreds of video demonstrations and audio clips enabling you to see exactly what you should be doing
Downloadable files and printable charts to help you practice more efficiently
Hundreds of bars of score excerpts featuring popular repetoire and practical illustrations of exercises and tools
The eBooks are available in the following formats:
- eBook format (ePub 2) – This re-flowable eBook format is supported by a wide range of reading applications which support the ePub 2 standard and is ideal for viewing on PC’s and mobile devices running Apple iOS or Android. Multimedia content is accessed via external links and therefore requires an internet connection to view.
- PDF – This print-based format can also be viewed on a wide range of devices using a PDF reader or browser. It is also suitable for printing but multimedia content is accessed via external links and therefore requires an internet connection to view.
- Enhanced eBook format (ePub 3) - This format is an enhanced version of the ePub format and contains embedded video and media. The files are much larger but an internet connection isn’t required to view multimedia content. The format is suitable for reading on applications which support the ePub 3 specification which includes the iBooks app on Apple devices.
- Amazon Kindle – This format is similar to the eBook format although is larger and has less formatting. It is designed for viewing on Amazon Kindle Apps across a range of devices including Android phones and tablets, Windows PC’s and Apple devices.
New - Revised editions!
After publishing the original Practising the Piano series in 2012, we've recently published revised editions of the full series. These new editions feature the following:
- New, additional content
- Numerous content updates and refinements
- A printable PDF download option and additional download options for PC and Mac
- Various formatting improvements
- Enhanced video streaming via Vimeo
- Improved download speeds from upgraded hosting infrastructure
Part 1 - The Practice Tools
Practising the Piano Part 1 is a foundation course on practice methodology or what could be called techniques of learning. It shows you how to organise your practice sessions for maximum effect, enabling you to learn new pieces quickly and efficiently. It also provides a number of specific practise tools which will improve your confidence and the overall quality of your playing. Click here for more on Part 1 >>
Part 2 - Mastering Piano Technique
Practising the Piano Part 2 provides a comprehensive treatise on the subject of piano technique from an overview of different schools and traditions through to an extensive listing of technical exercises. Video demonstrations and precise written instructions with exercises accompanied by manuscript show exactly how to overcome technical difficulties with skill and panache while avoiding common pitfalls that lead to tension and injury. Click here for more on Part 2 >>
Part 3 - Scales and Arpeggios
Practising the Piano Part 3 is a comprehensive guide to scales and arpeggios. It features numerous video demonstrations, exercises, practice suggestions, resources and interactive tools to make this essential part of a practice regime effective, interesting and fun. Click here for more on Part 3 >>
Part 4 - Practising for Performance
Practising the Piano Part 4 focusses on the art of performance, including how best to prepare yourself both mentally and in the practise room. Drawing upon powerful practise strategies, proven psychological and therapeutic techniques used by elite sportsmen and women, it shows how to combat anxiety and to deliver performances that reflect your full potential. Click here for more on Part 4 >>